The Town of York’s 2020/2021 taxable valuation is $4,796,904,610. This includes taxable real estate valuation of $4,770,171,500 and taxable business personal property valuation of $26,733,110. The total assessed valuation of exempt property is currently $223,246,700. York’s certified assessment ratio for 2020/2021 is 100%. York’s 2020 State Valuation (2018 actual) of $4,752,100,000, which is the State’s estimated 100% valuation, ranks York third in the State of Maine behind Portland and Scarborough. York’s land area is 56 square miles and is made up of 9,123 land parcels. York has 11,112 real estate accounts, 615 personal property accounts, and 254 exempt accounts.
York’s current tax rate is $11.10 per thousand dollars of valuation. Annually, the Assessor’s Office reviews valuations and makes adjustments to the valuations to include any additions and deletions. Part of the assessment process includes conducting an annual "sales ratio study", which compares the actual selling prices of properties to assessments. The most recent study, conducted for the state valuation purposes, indicated the assessed values to be, on average, at 95.9% of market value. The average assessed value of improved single family non-waterfront residential properties that have sold during the twelve months prior to April 2, 2020 is $484,728. The average selling price for those same properties is $518,968 . The average assessed value for a single-family waterfront home sold during that same time period is currently $1,222,779. The average selling price for those same homes is $1,324,750 The average assessed value of unimproved lots that have sold during the twelve months prior to April 2, 2020 is $168,345, with an average selling price of $163,741.
The Assessor’s Office is a clearing house of information such as building and land records, monthly sales transactions, and assessment valuation information used by other town departments, the public, and their representatives (appraisers, brokers, attorneys, surveyors, title companies, etc.). Reports are often generated from the commitment file for use by various town departments. The office is also the source for administering all street naming and numbering issues. Valuation reports containing assessment and ownership information, as well as individual tax maps, are available upon request.
One very frequent taxpayer question is in regard to resident versus non-resident property ownership. For the 2020/21 tax year, resident owned properties made up 60% of the real estate tax base, while non-resident property owners made up the remaining 40%. Another question that often arises is comparing residential versus commercial properties. In 2020/21 York's total valuation before exemptions is $5,055,582,300, which includes residential property valuation of $4,363,730,784 (86.4%) and commercial property valuation of $691,851,516(13.6%).
The Assessor’s Office has an open door policy and welcomes all taxpayers with questions or concerns about their assessments to call or stop by the office. We are also happy to answer questions via e-mail: email@example.com.